The Christchurch Rebuild
Remember that when these pages were first written, they dated from a specific time; that is, in the couple of years following the worst of the major earthquakes. We are moving on and the rebuild continues.
In our Post-Earthquake chaos, we will all need to help rebuild Christchurch. Below, first in the list, is a selection of websites that may offer ways in which you can help us, through donations, ideas, moral support, coming to see us and practical help. If you know of other sites that might be included here, I would be glad to hear of them.
- Video made by Gerard Smyth on the Town Hall
- What parts of Christchurch looked like just moments after the February 22, 2011, struck, and how they are today.
- Photographs from an ex-pat Kiwi show rebuild progress in post-quake Christchurch
- The Catholic Church announced on May 28, 2015, their plans to restore the nave of the Catholic Basilica in Barbadoes Street.
- An enterprising contractor tied a web cam to his ladder and drove around the Red Zone in August, 2011. See the remarkable footage in three video clips from this page of The Press
- To understand what it is REALLY like in Canterbury these days, see Ross's superb photos in his gallery here. UPDATE: Ross continues to document Christchurch's demolition and rebuild. A must-see page.
- Gap filler - aiming to temporarily activate vacant sites within Christchurch with creative projects
- Share An Idea about the future of Christchurch - City Council rebuilding the city with OUR help! shareanidea.org.nz/
- Christchurch City Council Earthquake recovery and information page
- Rebuild Christchurch
- Christchurch Earthquake appeal
- Dine Out - New Zealand's popular DIY restaurant review guide. It has a list of the remaining and open Christchurch restaurants and suggests that visiting those in the Eastern suburbs would help them a great deal to survive.
- Christchurch Bus service
- Transport for Christchurch - updates on roadworks, road closures etc.
- TV3 News (may not be available in all areas of the world) covered the rebuild of the pipe organ in Knox church, "Christchurch quake survivor restores church organ"