Visiting New Zealand
As a true feathery New Zealand-born kiwi, I am passionate about my little country. Even if you can't live here permanently, it's still a great place to visit. And even little battered Christchurch still has much to offer the explorer who wants to witness a city in the re-making.
Further afield, Canterbury has much to offer with outdoor adventures on mountains, rivers, forests, and plains, and to the east is beautiful Banks Peninsula, with its French settlement of Akaroa.
It takes at least two weeks to even scratch the surface of this multi-personality land. So linger a while. . .
Important note: If you are visiting New Zealand and wish to drive, please note that we drive on the LEFT. The LEFT, LEFT, LEFT. Just as in other countries such as Australia, Britain, Fiji, Japan, Suriname, many parts of Africa, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, India. Too many tourists cause car accidents here because they hire a vehicle straight after travelling on a long-haul flights of anything up to 36 hours; they are still suffering from jet-lag, have a momentary lapse of concentration, wander over onto the wrong side of the road and slap bang straight into on-coming traffic. Result: bodies, both of visitors and locals. Not good. Remember that our roads are often narrow, winding, and require more patience than you may be used to. They are NOT like the great autobahns of Germany or the motorways of Britain or America. BE CAREFUL and stay on the left and keep your speed down. I'm writing this because I have to use these roads too.
Read more from the New Zealand Herald: Nearly 600 road accidents last year that resulted in death or injury were caused by foreign visitors. And if that doesn't convince you, read more about road accidents from the Encyclopaedia of New Zealand:
Now for the fun bit...
- Te Ara - The Encyclopaedia of New Zealand
- iSite for Christchurch - main tourism site
- Cityscape - Christchurch: Venues, performance, events. What's on in Christchurch.
- Welcome to New Zealand: Official site of New Zealand Tourism, Business, and Investment. Activities, tours, maps and accommodation to plan your New Zealand holiday
- 3 Days in Christchurch - The Guardian Guide to Christchurch after the earthquakes
- New Zealand Tourism online: easy to browse, useful and is a great gateway for finding anything the visitor might want to know.
- Train Travel in New Zealand - from the Man in seat 61 - a wonderful website for all train travellers, but now he includes New Zealand. Yay!
- Automobile Association: the AA Traveller Guide
- Formerly the Blackball Hilton - to those who know, no explanation is necessary...
- Dream New Zealand Weddings - the perfect locations and arrangements.
- Creativenz - The Arts Council of New Zealand
- Te Puna - National Library directory
- Maori Organisations
- Tourism New Zealand - a beautiful, snazzy and helpful site for visitors. Used to be called the 100% PURENZ site.
- The Christchurch Town Hall - where the organ lives!
- Christchurch Symphony
- New Zealand jobsite
- The Press On-Line
- University of Canterbury
- Christchurch City Council
- New Zealand Tourism and Travel Guide
- New Zealand Arts on the Web
- Travelplanner NZ - very useful site for planning a trip here.
- New Zealand Cricket
- Christchurch City Council homepage
- New Zealand weather
- Spark (Telecom) Telephone Directory of New Zealand